JEROME Zabbix is an open-source monitoring software tool for diverse IT components, including networks, servers, virtual machines (VMs) and cloud services. Zabbix provides monitoring metrics, among others network utilization, CPU load and disk space consumption. Zabbix monitoring configuration can be done using XML based templates which contain elements to monitor.
The software monitors operations on Linux, Hewlett Packard Unix (HP-UX), Mac OS X, Solaris and other operating systems (OSes). Windows monitoring is possible through Zabbix agents.
Zabbix offers several monitoring options:
- Simple checks can verify the availability and responsiveness of standard services such as SMTP or HTTP without installing any software on the monitored host.
- A Zabbix agent can also be installed on UNIX and Windows hosts to monitor statistics such as CPU load, network utilization, disk space, etc.
- As an alternative to installing an agent on hosts, Zabbix includes support for monitoring via SNMP, TCP and ICMP checks, as well as over IPMI, JMX, SSH, Telnet and using custom parameters. Zabbix supports a variety of near-real-time notification mechanisms, including XMPP.
- High performance, high capacity, able to monitor hundreds of thousands of devices.
- Auto-discovery of servers and network devices and interfaces.
- Low-level discovery, automatically starts monitoring new items, file systems or network interfaces among others.
- Distributed monitoring with centralized web administration.
- Native high performance agents (client software for Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OS X, Tru64/OSF1, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7)
- SLA, and ITIL KPI metrics on reporting.
- High-level (business) view of monitored resources through user-defined visual console screens and dashboards.
- Remote command execution through Zabbix proxies.
- Agent or Agent-less monitoring capabilities.
- Web-based interface.
- Support for both polling and trapping mechanisms.
- JMX monitoring.
- Web monitoring.
Security & Authentication
- Audit log.
- Secure user authentication.
- Flexible user permissions.
- Flexible e-mail notification on predefined events.
- Near-real-time notification mechanisms, for example using including XMPP protocol.